Energy Efficiency and Innovation
As one of the NAHB’s official show homes, The New American Home® (TNAH) 2018 is a symbol of energy efficiency and innovation, featuring the NAHB, Leadings Suppliers Council latest product innovations and designed to exceed the requirements for certification to the Emerald level of the National Green Building Standard™. Its energy-efficient features can be used in homes in a hot-humid climate at any price point with similar energy savings. The home is also targeted to be certified EPA Energy Star program as well as the Indoor airPLUS program and DOE Zero Energy Ready Home.
Two Trails, Inc. worked closely with Legacy Custom Built Homes to ensure energy efficiency and innovation in TNAH 2018. This home has a proposed HERS Index of 46. It is expected to be 35.84% more efficient than the average new code-built home. At this level of energy efficiency, the home is designed to provide over $1,315 in annual energy savings to the home owner.
- Unvented and air sealed attic with R-21 SES SucraSeal Open-Cell Spray Foam Insulation
- Windows and patio doors with low-e coating and argon gas fill to limit solar heat gain air tightness
- Openings and penetrations seals are designed to achieve 3.5 natural air changes under blower door testing at 50 Pa
- Core-Fill 500, Kingspan’s Greenguard, and Fi-Foil M-Shield wall insulation system on exterior masonry walls (R-16.2)
- Large overhangs to aid in protecting the home from the harsh Florida sun
- Energy Star qualified roof to aid in keeping the home cool
- Light colored exterior to assist in reflecting the sun
- Space conditioning is provided by Mitsubishi
- Variable speed compressors in outdoor heat pump units adds efficiency and quietness
- Mechanical ventilation provided by Panasonic
- Space conditioning system located entirely within the conditioned space
- Natural Gas tankless water heaters (EF = 0.95) provides the hot water
- 100% of all interior and exterior lamps are energy-efficient LED lighting
- ENERGY STAR®-rated appliances, including dishwasher, refrigerator, freezer, and clothes washers
Key Energy Features
The New American Home 2018 achieves a high level of energy efficiency. The most noteworthy features of TNAH 2018 include the air tightness of its thermal shell. Under blower door testing, the thermal shell is designed to achieve 3.5 air changes at 50 Pa, an amount that is considered very airtight and keeps unwanted outdoor dry air from entering the home.